Friday, August 10, 2012

Review: Zombies Don't Cry by Rusty Fischer

Book: Zombies Don't Cry (A Living Dead Love Story)
By: Rusty Fischer
Published: May 1, 2011
Published By: Medallion Press

Description: Maddy Swift is just a normal girl—a high school junior surviving class with her best friend and hoping the yummy new kid, Stamp, will ask her out. When he finally does, her whole life changes.

Sneaking out to meet Stamp at a party one rainy night, Maddy is struck by lightning. After awakening, she feels lucky to be alive. Over time, however, Maddy realizes that she’s become the thing she and everyone else fear most: the living dead.

With no heartbeat and no breath in her lungs, Maddy must learn how to survive as a zombie. Turns out there’s a lot more to it than shuffling around 24/7 growling, “Brains.” Needing an afterlife makeover is only the beginning of her problems. As Barracuda Bay High faces zombie Armageddon, Maddy must summon all of her strength to protect what matters most—just as soon as she figures out exactly what that is.

My Thoughts: The second of my books for my vacation, Zombies Don't cry was a pretty light fun poolside book. Thanks to the Bookish Brunette and one of its bloggers, Carrie Harris, I've grown a bit interested in Zombie Books and the campy stories as well. Zombies don't cry was definitely campy. Not too serious and not too gory. It's just sort of Take it as it is and don't give it too much pressure to make a bunch of sense.

We begin with Maddy, a normal girl with normal issues which of course includes boy issues. Unfortunately, many of her classmates have recently died but whatever, they've all been accidents right? Any who, she meets a guy, Stamp who I guess is an okay guy and she wants to impress him. He invites her to a party and that's where the tides turn. She gets hit by lightning, and then "dies, and undies" (A statement I like to use now that I have been reading many of the House of Night novels). That's when everything starts to really turn rotten (pun intended).

She's dead, but living, and looks pretty dead. There are the good guys, and the bad guys and rules and things she has to do, people she has to meet, all the while figuring out if the supermarket even sells brains because she wants them so badly.

The worst thing about dying and then coming back is that you lose all your friends for some reason. (Lets just say, she needed to lose those friends. I hated the best friend with a passion.) You gain new, uncool ones, and lose your boyfriend and pretty much everything else you hold near. Beyond that, being a good Zombie means the bad ones want to ruin you, and they will use everyone and anyone to do it.

Like I said before, this book is kind of take it like it is. It's not serious and kind of unbelievable, but it's fun and a great book to break up the tension between reading other soul shattering books. I would recommend it to zombie lovers who want something campy. 3 Stars.

2 comments:

Lan said...

I am really loving zombie books at the moment. Mostly they're very dark and serious so one that's a bit light hearted will be a nice break.

Randi M said...

I've got this on my ereader & really need to get to it! I like that it's a lighter read. I need those in between some of the super heavy contemporaries I've been reading lately. Great review!

Randi @ Cardigans, Coffee and Bookmarks

Post a Comment

Leave me a message! I love Reading them. If you are a New follower, let me know and I will be sure to follow back!